The complex covers an area of circa and dates from 1848, replacing an inadequate barracks at Hillfoot at an estimated cost of £94,000.
Sheffield has good road and railway links to all points of the compass and is also close to the geographic centre of Great Britain. This makes it a prime location for a large military barracks.
A barracks was required to house
The barracks is divided into three terraces. The first (top) terrace faces onto what is now Langsett Road. This contained the Mess establishment, quarters for around 40 officers and a similar number of servants, and a chapel. This building has a length of about and a width and height of about , is three storeys high and has a mixture of gothic and castellated styles.
The other buildings of the barracks consisted off:
A large five bedroomed house serving as the Garrison Commander’s Quarters outside the walls
A 58-patient two storey hospital incorporating a barracks for RAMC personnel, a Dental Clinic and a facility for treating women
Infantry soldiers' quarters
A clock towered building, with Cavalry soldiers' quarters on the first floor and stabling for 260 horses on the ground floor (total accommodation for 918 NCO and other ranks)
A Riding School
A school for 80 children and accommodation for the......