is a village located in Algoma District
. It is located on the northeastern shore of St. Joseph Island
in the North Channel
of Lake Huron
, approximately 60 kilometres from Sault Ste. Marie
. The village had a population of 172 and a land area of 2.4 km² per the Canada 2006 Census
The area which is now known as Hilton Beach had its origins in the 1850s when a wharf
was first built. By the 1860s, fourteen families had settled
in the area, including the Trainors, Rousseaus, Gordons, Bishops and Desjardins.
John Marks came to St. Joseph Island in the 1860s to settle at Sailors Encampment. He moved to the area that would become Hilton Beach in 1872. Marks first opened a store and a wood dock followed by a post office
six years later under the name of Marksville. A school was established in 1877, and in 1881 St. John's Anglican Church
J. Archibald built a hotel in 1879, originally called The Ottawa House. It was moved to its current site in 1890. Other businesses included Bowker's General Store, Duncan's General Store, R. Chester's shoemaker shop, and the sawmill
operated by Dean and Davis. J.C. Cooper was a wagon maker, and T. Steinburg was the blacksmith
, who operated out of the white concrete building still standing today on Hilton Road.
A.G. Duncan, D. McPhail and John Marks were justices
. The village was called Marksville until June 1, 1921, when it was changed to Hilton Beach. Two years later the village separated... Read More