() is a general aviation
airport south-southwest of Hilversum
, a municipality and town in the Het Gooi
region and the province
of North Holland
in the Netherlands
The airport has three grass runways, 07/25, 13/31 and 18/36 with the respective lengths of , and . An asphalt
runway is planned in the near future. The majority of flights are with smaller single engine piston aircraft, either for training or recreational purposes.
Though founded in 1939 with civil aviation in mind, because of the unrest in Europe, the Royal Netherlands Air Force
took control of the airfield, using it as a base for Fokker C-5
, Fokker C-10
and Koolhoven F.K.51
aircraft. On the 10 and 11 May 1940, the airport came under heavy attack by Luftwaffe Messerschmitt Bf 109
aircraft. After Germany occupied the Netherlands
later that month, they expanded the airport significantly for further military use.
As it became clear that Hilversum Airport was going to be lost to allied forces, the German military destroyed most of airport to prevent use by the allied forces
. After the end of the war, the airport remained under military control briefly, but became a civil airport again in 1948.