was a parliamentary borough
consisting of the village of Hindon
, which elected two Members of Parliament
(MPs) to the House of Commons
from 1448 until 1832, when the borough was abolished by the Great Reform Act
. It was one of the most notoriously corrupt of the rotten boroughs
, and bills to disfranchise Hindon were debated in Parliament on two occasions before its eventual abolition.
Hindon was a small market town, and may have been of at least minor importance at the time it was first represented in Parliament, during the reign of Henry VI
. However, the town was destroyed by a disastrous fire
, and over the same period its trade went into severe decline. By 1831, the population of the borough was only 921, and the borough and town contained 185 houses.
Franchise and influences
Hindon was an example of the class of constituencies known as potwalloper
boroughs, the right to vote being exercised by every householder, a household being notionally defined as any dwelling place with a separate hearth capable of heating a pot - this meant in effect that the majority of the male population could vote. The precise regulations in these constituencies varied, but in Hindon the franchise was defined by a House of Commons ruling of 1728 as resting with all inhabitant householders who were parishioners of Hindon and not receiving alms. At the final contested election, that of 1831
, it was estimated that these amounted to 170 eligible voters, and... Read More