<!-- Deleted image removed: -->The history of Duke University
began when Brown's Schoolhouse, a private subscription school in Randolph County, North Carolina
(in the present-day town of Trinity
), was founded in 1838. Duke University Archives.
URL accessed 19 July 2005. The school was renamed to Union Institute Academy in 1841, Normal College in 1851, and to Trinity College in 1859. Finally moving to Durham in 1887, the school grew rapidly, primarily due to the generosity of Washington Duke
and Julian S. Carr
, powerful and respected Methodists who had grown wealthy through the tobacco
industry. In 1924
, Washington Duke's son, James B. Duke
, established The Duke Endowment
, a $40 million (about $430 million in 2005 dollars
) trust fund, some of which was to go to Trinity College. The president thus renamed the school Duke University
, as a memorial to Washington Duke
and his family. Duke University Archives.
URL accessed 22 June 2006.
The school was organized by the Union Institute Society, a group of Methodists
under the leadership of Reverend Brantley York, and in 1841, North Carolina issued a charter for Union Institute Academy from the original Brown's Schoolhouse. The state legislature granted a rechartering of the academy as Normal College in 1851, and the privilege of granting degrees in 1853. To keep the school operating, the trustees agreed to provide... Read More