The history of Piedmont, California
, covers the history of the area in California
's San Francisco Bay Area
that is now known as Piedmont
, up to and beyond the legal establishment of a city.
In 1850, what is now Piedmont was part of Rancho San Antonio
. This area, owned by the Peralta
family, covered much of the northeastern shore of San Francisco Bay
, now northern Alameda County. Rancho San Antonio was sparsely populated except for cattle
and the vaqueros
who tended them.
In 1860, retired South Carolinian
Congressman Isaac Holmes bought a piece of land from his neighbor Reed. The area included Bushy Dell Creek, a creek that runs through the dog-walking trail of modern-day Piedmont. Holmes bathed in the foul-smelling pink water of a nearby spring, believing the water beneficial for his rheumatism
Piedmont Springs Hotel
In 1870, Walter Blair bought over 800 acres (3.2 km²) of land in the foothills of East Bay
. Where the spring was located he built the Piedmont Springs Hotel, of 20 bedrooms and five dining rooms. The water of the spring was thought to have curative powers. Wealthy San Franciscans retired to the hotel during trips to "the country."
In addition to the hotel, Blair built a dairy farm on what is now Highland Avenue and a quarry where Dracena Park is today.
In April 1877,... Read More