was founded on July 3, 1608, by Samuel de Champlain
. Champlain named his settlement after a local native word meaning “the river narrows here.” Champlain's settlement was located at the foot of Cap Diamant, the peninsula on which Old Quebec lies today. The French settlement was at first sparsely inhabited and served mostly as a base for fur trading
. In 1615, the first missionaries, the Recollets
, arrived in the city. From 1629 to 1632, the city briefly passed into possession of the English. The Jesuits arrived in 1635 and the Ursulines
in 1639. In 1636, Charles Huault de Montmagny
became the settlement’s governor, who presided over expansion of the settlement and construction of its first church, Notre Dame de la Paix (Our Lady of Peace). Surrounding the settlement were various parcels of farm land. By 1663, the year during which Quebec became the capital city of New France
, the population of Quebec and its surrounding farm lands had reached 1,950 people. The English attempt to capture
the city in 1690 during King William's War
and it failed.
In 1917, the construction of the Quebec Bridge
, connecting the north and south banks of the St. Lawrence River
, was finished. To this day, it is the longest cantilever bridge
in the world, though two collapses of the centre of the bridge during construction cost over 80 workers lost their lives.
During World War II
, two Allied Forces
conferences were held in... Read More