Holy Trinity Church
is an Anglican parish church
The Victorian building is situated on Regent Road, to the south of the city centre, close to the University of Leicester
, De Montfort University
and Leicester Royal Infirmary
. Holy Trinity prides itself on being an informal lively church. John McGinley was appointed as vicar in January 2009, and Phil White was appointed as Associate Vicar in November 2009.
The Church Building Act
of 1818 provided funds for two new Leicester parishes, one of which was Holy Trinity. The church was built in 1838 to Sydney Smirke
design as the city expanded, and formed part of a new suburb. The new parish, also established in 1838, was created out of part of the parish of St Mary de Castro Church
In 1872, Holy Trinity was completely redesigned by Samuel Sanders Teulon
in a High Gothic
style, with spire and side turrets in red-purple brick with limestone decoration.
In the 19th century, the church had wooden pews and a single central aisle, with balconies on both sides of the church; the central aisle was occupied by the middle classes and the balconies by their servants. Access to ground floor was via the main church entrance, with two side entrances for the balconies.
The church buildings
A significant building project was undertaken in the late 1980s, and there is now a single balcony at the rear of the church. The former main entrance to the church now features a display of a cross... Read More