The Holy Trinity Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession
(), also known as Zug's Protestant Church
() is a Lutheran
church in Warsaw
. This is one of two Augsburg Evangelical churches in Warsaw. Designed and constructed by Szymon Bogumił Zug
, it is one of the largest churches in Warsaw and one of the most notable for its design.
The king's banker, Piotr Tepper, made efforts to build the church and in 1777 he obtained the appropriate privilege from King Stanisław August Poniatowski
. The king however reserved for him self the right of choosing the design of the building. The church was designed by Szymon Bogumił Zug
and constructed in 1777–1782. It is a Classical rotunda
based partly on the Roman Pantheon
. The Lutheran church was the highest and at the same time one of the biggest buildings of 18th century Warsaw
. The diameter of the dome was 33.4 meters long and the height was 58 meters. The huge dome
with magnificent lantern
tower still dominates high over the nearby buildings. It upholds the spirit of pure classicism. As the tallest building in Warsaw at that time it served as vantage point for the Polish Army during the Kościuszko Uprising
In the beginning of the 19th century the church was renowned of the music performances accompanying the service. Among the famous musicians, who gave concerts here was......