() is a department under the Government of Hong Kong
responsible for postal services
, though operated as a Trading Fund
. Founded in 1841, it was known as Postal Department
or Post Office
() before the handover of Hong Kong
in 1997. It is sub-member of the Universal Postal Union
since 1877, and is a separate entity from China Post
Merchants traded in Hong Kong at the two sides of Victoria Harbour
as early as before the British possession
in 1842. They complained about the absence of proper postal services and therefore the Postal Department was established.
The department was founded on August 28, 1841 but the first post office (a.k.a. 書信館 at that time), situated near the recent site of St. John's Cathedral
, opened later on November 12. At the beginning its right to operation belonged to the Royal Mail
until its transfer to the Postmaster General
on May 1, 1860.
On December 8, 1862, the Office issued the first set of Hong Kong postal stamps
. Before that, only British soldiers in Hong Kong could use British stamps while other local residents did not have any. Until the handover of Hong Kong to China in 1997, BFPO 1 was the address for British forces serving in the then colony. When sending mail from the UK to a member of HM Forces serving overseas, the sender must address it to the appropriate BFPO number, and not to the country in which that person is based. BFPO1 addressed mail was charged at the inland UK rate.
In 1989, the Office introduced... Read More