The Horniman Circle Gardens
is a large park in South Mumbai
which encompasses an area of . It is situated in the Fort district of Mumbai
, and is surrounded by office complexes housing the country's premier banks. Designed to be a large open space with grand buildings in the middle of the walled city, the area had been known as Bombay Green
in the 18th century.
In 1842, the area had been just a dump of coconut
shells and debris . The Police Commissioner, Charles Forjett, thought of converting the Green into a circle surrounded by buildings. He was supported by governors Lord Elphinstone
and Sir Bartle Frère
. The garden was planned in 1869 and completed in 1872 with well laid out walkways and trees planted all around. The whole complex was then renamed Elphinstone Circle
after the Governor, Lord John Elphinstone
. An ornamental fountain was placed in the centre, but it was replaced by a modern art deco
iron pipes design.The park was a favourite social venue of the Parsi
community. In the pre-independence era, a band used to perform there every evening.
The Asiatic Society of Bombay
overlooks the Horniman Circle Gardens and the Reserve Bank of India.
Following India's independence
in 1947, the area was renamed after Benjamin Horniman, editor of the Bombay Chronicle
, who supported Indian independence.
Horniman Circle hosts the annual Sufi and mystic music festival, Ruhaniyat
. It is also one of the venues of the......