is a town and civil parish
within the metropolitan borough
of the City of Leeds
, in West Yorkshire
, lying to the north west of Leeds
. It has a population of 18,928.
Horsforth was considered to have the largest population of any village in the United Kingdom
during the latter part of the nineteenth century. It became part of the City of Leeds metropolitan borough in 1974, and became a civil parish with town council
Horsforth was mentioned in the Domesday Book
of 1086 as Horseford
and its name derives from horse
. This refers to a river crossing on the River Aire
, probably used for the transportation of woollen goods to and from Pudsey
. The original ford was situated off Calverley Lane (near the Calverley Bridge Zero Waste Sort Site
), but was replaced by a stone footbridge at the turn of the 19th century.
The three unnamed Saxon thegns
that held the land at the conquest gave way to the king and then lesser Norman
nobles, but it was not long after this that most of the village came under the control of Kirkstall Abbey
, a Cistercian
house founded in 1152 on the bank of the River Aire downstream of Horsforth.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries
in 1539, Horsforth was partitioned and sold to five families, one was the Stanhopes who achieved supremacy and controlled the village for the next 300 years. The estate record of the Stanhopes is... Read More