Llandudno inherits its name from the 6th century saint, Tudno or Dudno, who brought Christianity to the area: his cell on Great Orme, a sunken cave, still remains; Llan means parish, or 'church of'. A church on Great Orme – Orme by the way is a Viking word meaning serpent - dedicated to Tudno was erected in the 12th century, and extended in the 15th, and remains in use today.
In 1284 Edward I gifted the Bishop of Bangor the Manor of Gogarth, governing numerous settlements in the district where Llandudno eventually formed; the gift was out of respect for the bishop's help in making Edward's son the first English Prince of Wales.
During medieval times the district was of little note, the various villages carrying on fishing and agricultural activities, a state of affairs that continued until the 19th century, though with the re-established mines gifting the place some particular significance during the Industrial Revolution . This all shifted in the middle of the 19th century.
In 1848 the local landowner, Lord Mostyn, was given visionary architectural plans for a resort on the site by Liverpool architect Owen Williams. The 1849 Act of Enclosure granted the Mostyn family the powers required to change the area with the Great Orme at one end and Little Orme at the other. The layout of the new town was settled in that same year. In 1857 another architect, George Felton, picked up the project, his hand particularly seen in the architecture in Llandudno's centre.
The work in constructing the resort, and readying for its visitors, came at the right time, as in 1850 the copper mines were shut down, no longer economically sound.
Llandudno is a town of the Railway Age. In 1848 the Chester – Holyhead line began, passing near the town that was forming out of three older settlements. Visitors from North West England could now reach the place with ease; in 1858 communications were further boosted by the branch from that line moving forward into the town.
The following history of Llandudno is the story of its development as a seaside resort. A pier opened in 1858, though it was soon destroyed in a massive storm. Another replaced it in 1875, and is still to be witnessed today. In 1878 Marine Drive opened; nine years later the Mostyn family gave the town a no longer used quarry altered into gardens named Happy Valley; in 1902 the Grand Hotel opened, another sign of the vision the Mostyns had of Llandudno as an esteemed destination.
Llandudno's transport infrastructure was modified through the 20th century. In 1902 the Great Orme Tramway was opened, making it virtually effortless to reach the 678' summit. The Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway, a tram service thoughout the town, came after in 1936, though unfortunately it closed in 1963; 1972 accompanied the opening of a cabin lift to the summit of the mighty headland.
The town these days is among the largest resorts in Wales. Look for b and b llandudno, still with an elegant air. That reputation was added to with the building of the North Wales Theatre in the 21st century. This building on the promenade, next to seaview hotels llandudno, provides a venue for musicals, concerts and plays, and is often the port of call for the Welsh National Opera.