The House for an Art Lover
is based on a design produced in 1901 by Charles Rennie Mackintosh
with his wife, Margaret MacDonald
. The building is situated in Bellahouston Park
. Construction began in 1989 and the house was finally opened to the public in 1996. Mackintosh's original designs were interpreted and realised by John Kane and Graeme Robertson (up to 1990) under Andrew MacMillan
, with contributions by many contemporary artists. Original portfolio designs are displayed in each room to allow comparisons.
The house was originally designed for an ideas competition set by the German design magazine Zeitschrift für Innendekoration
for a "Haus eines Kunstfreundes" (Art Lover's House). Despite disqualification due to late entry, the portfolio was awarded a prize for "pronounced personal quality, novel and austere form and the uniform configuration of interior and exterior".
- McKean, John; Colin Baxter (1998). Charles Rennie Mackintosh Pocket Guide. Grantown-on-Spey: Colin Baxter Photography Ltd.. ISBN 1-900455-48-X.
<gallery>Image:Mackintosh, House for an Art Lover, competition entry.jpg|<center>Competition entry drawing of the house from the north west.Image:HouseForAnArtLoverPiano.jpg|<center>The interior design of House for an Art Lover exemplifies Macintosh's flowing, floral style of design.Image:HouseForAnArtLover.jpg|<center>House for an Art Lover is situated in Bellahouston......