, formerly known as the New South Wales Department of Housing
, is the public housing
agency created in 1942 to build and manage public housing in the Australian
state of New South Wales
The agency changed its name from the NSW Department of Housing to Housing NSW on 11 June, 2008.
At inception it was known as the Housing Commission of New South Wales, it was renamed in 1986 to the New South Wales Department of Housing under the Housing Act, 1986. , State Records Authority of New South Wales
. Accessed 12 January 2008. which has since been replaced with the Housing Act 2001 (NSW).
Initially the role was to investigate housing affordability and standards, co-ordinate with associated agencies, publish its findings and general information about housing, take steps to improve housing standards and recommend further legislation. , State Records Authority of New South Wales
. Accessed 12 January 2008.
The commission was responsible for the provision of post-war housing in the 1940s and 1950s, often using cheap fibro
materials due to shortages of other materials such as bricks. It was also responsible for slum clearance in the 1960s and the replacement of terraced housing in the Waterloo
area with high rise public housing towers. In the 1970s, the now-discredited American Radburn
style of public housing was... Read More