Hugh Martin Morris
(April 9, 1878 -March 19, 1966), was an American attorney and jurist. He was born in Greenwood
, Sussex County
. He graduated from Delaware College
(now the University of Delaware
) with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1898 where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa
. His career was diverse and included teaching school in Sussex County followed by the study of law, and admittance to the Bar in 1903. From 1903-1919 he practiced law in Wilmington, Delaware
and in 1919 he was appointed Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
by President Woodrow Wilson
Judge Morris was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws by the University of Delaware
in 1928. In 1930, he returned to private practice as the principal in the Wilmington, Delaware law firm that is now Morris, Nichols, Arsht and Tunnell.
Judge Morris served on the University of Delaware Board of Trustees from 1929-1959 including as its President from 1939-1959. He was initiated as a graduate member into the University's Phi Kappa Tau
The Hugh M. Morris Library at the University of Delaware, first completed in 1963 and expanded in 1986, was named in honor of Judge Morris. The Library was formally dedicated on April 4, 1964 with Judge Morris in attendance.
Judge Morris' estate was purchased by the State of Delaware and is part of a state park.