The Hull Barnsley & West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company
(HB&WRJR&DCo.) was opened on 20 July 1885. It had a total projected length of 66 miles but never reached Barnsley
, stopping a few miles short at Stairfoot
. The name was changed to The Hull and Barnsley Railway
(H&BR) in 1905. Its Alexandra Dock
opened 16 July 1885.
The main line ran from Hull to Cudworth
, with two other lines branching off at Wrangbrook Junction, the South Yorkshire Junction Railway
to Denaby, and The Hull & South Yorkshire Extension Railway
, an eight-mile branch to Wath-upon-Dearne
, opened 31 March 1902. The company also had joint running powers on the Hull and Barnsley and Great Central Joint Railway
(Gowdall and Braithwell Railway).
Before the Grouping
of 1923, the line was taken over by the North Eastern Railway
. Following incorporation into the LNER, duplicated infrastructure was closed or reduced in function - notably Cannon Street station
and the Springhead Locomotive Works.
Closure of the greater part of the main line itself came during the time of British Railways. As of 2011 the elevated line in Hull with some of the extensions and alterations added by the NER and LNER are still in use and referred to as the Hull Docks Branch
and has the Engineers' Line Reference
By the 19th century the coalfields of southern Yorkshire were producing large amounts of coal, the industrialised midland region was making manufactured goods, and the new... Read More