The Hunslet Engine Company Austerity 0-6-0ST
is a steam locomotive
designed for shunting
. The class became the standard British
shunting locomotive during the Second World War
, and production continued until 1964.
The 48150 class were built for the Guest Keen Baldwins Iron & Steel Company
in 1937, being an enlarged version of a design dating from 1923. These developed into the 50550 class
of 1941–42, with various modifications.
At the outbreak of the Second World War, the War Department
had initially chosen the LMS 'Jinty' 3F 0-6-0T
as its standard shunting locomotive, but was persuaded by Hunslet that a simplified version of their more modern 50550 design would be more suitable. The first was completed at their Leeds
works at the start of 1943.
Hunslet subcontracted some of the construction to Andrew Barclay Sons & Co.
, W. G. Bagnall
, Hudswell Clarke
, Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns
and the Vulcan Foundry
they were used on Continental Europe
and in North Africa
as well as at docks and military sites in Britain.
A total of 377 had been built for the War Department by 1947 (on orders placed during the war), with two further engines having been built for collieries (without the permission of the Ministry of Supply
). When the end of the war reduced the need for locomotives, the military started to review its fleet:
- 90 locomotives were kept by the military
- 75 locomotives were sold to the LNER and classified as J94
- 27 that......