The LDS temple in Idaho Falls was announced on March 3, 1937. The exterior of the temple was completed in September 1941 and the interior was expected to be completed the following year. However, with World War II shortages, it delayed the completion of the temple for four more years. In spite of delays, LDS Church PresidentGeorge Albert Smith dedicated the Idaho Falls Temple just one month after the war ended, on September 23, 1945. The temple was built on a plot, has 4 ordinance rooms and 9 sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of .
The name of the temple was changed from the Idaho Falls Temple to the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple in the early 2000s when the Church introduced standardized naming conventions for temples worldwide.