The name of the district is derived from the malayalam word Idukki, meaning narrow gauge.
The Early history of Idukki is obscure and there is no clear evidence about the paleolithic age. The Idukki region was part of the ancient Chera country and Kongu Nadu. During 800 –1102 A.D, the High Ranges, consisting of present Devikulam Udumbanchola and Peermade taluks, were part of the Kingdom of Vembolinad. During 16th century major portions of Idukki district came under the rule of Poonjar Raja.
The Modern history of the district starts with the advent of Europen planters to this region. In 1877 Kerala Varma, the Raja of Poonjar leased of Kannan Devan hills to John Danial Manroe, a British Planter. The tract was largely unexplored and covered with thick forest. He formed the North Travancore Land planting and Agriculture society. The members of the society developed their own estates in various parts of Hiranges. Roads were opened, transport organized, houses and factories built, and production rose rapidly in the succeeding years. The pallivasal hydroelectric project, the first hydroelectric project of the state, was initially constructed by... Read More