This structure was constructed by Polish Communists for an exhibition to celebrate the regaining control over the "Regained Territories" after Second World War. The Iglica is located very close to the Centennial Hall, the spectacular building constructed by Germans in 1912 and its purpose was to move the centre of attention from the Centennial Hall to Iglica.
Originally topped by a spinning contraption of mirrors, creating an "umbrella of light" at night, this was struck by lightning within a day of completion, and prior to the official opening. The remnants of this damaged structure were apparently removed by two climbing enthusiasts at no cost, the military failing to be able to tackle the task.
Spire of Dublin – similar design with a height of 120 meters, but of stainless steel and newer.