The Indian Institute of Advanced Study
) is a prestigious research institute based in Shimla
. It was set up by the Ministry of Education
, Government of India
and it started functioning from October 20, 1965.
History and establishment
The building that houses the Institute was originally built as a home for Lord Dufferin
, Viceroy of India
and was called the Viceregal Lodge. It housed all the subsequent viceroys and governors general of India. It occupied the Observatory Hill, one of the seven hills that Shimla is built upon.
The building was designed by Henry Irwin
, an architect in the Public Works Department at that time. The Viceregal Lodge had electricity as far back as 1888, much before the rest of the town of Shimla. The building also was equipped with an sophisticated fire fighting mechanism through wax tipped water ducts.
Many historic decisions have been taken in the building during the Indian independence movement
. The Simla Conference
was held here in 1945
. The decision to carve out Pakistan
and East Pakistan
from India was also taken here in 1947
After India gained independence, the building was renamed Rashtrapati Niwas and was used as a summer retreat for the President of India. However, due to its neglect, Dr. S Radhakrishnan decided to turn... Read More