</div><!--end of floated right section; article starts here-->Indiana University South Bend
is the third largest campus of the Indiana University
system. It is popularly known as IUSB or IU South Bend. It is located in South Bend, Indiana
, in St. Joseph County, Indiana
Indiana University began offering classes in South Bend in 1916 as an extension of the main campus of Indiana University Bloomington
. In the Depression, the superintendent of South Bend schools asked that more classes be added for those who could not afford to attend the Bloomington campus.
The classes were offered at Central High School in downtown South Bend and within a few years enrollment reached 500. Classes were taught by local high school teachers with master's degrees and occasionally by Bloomington faculty who traveled once a week for class.
The university appointed a resident director in 1940. Lynton Keith Caldwell, then a graduate student at the University of Chicago, took on the job.
In 1941, Ernest Gerkin was named the first permanent full-time faculty member.
Donald Carmony became the director from 1944 to 1950, followed by Jack Detzler, who remained in the job until 1964.
In 1961 the first IUSB building was constructed on newly acquired land on the north shore of the St. Joseph River
. It was first named the IU Center. In 1962 it was renamed South Bend-Mishawaka Campus.
In 1965, Lester Wolfson was appointed director and assistant dean of the campus. Wolfson was named chancellor... Read More