The Innere Stadt
() is the first Viennese Municipality District
. The Innere Stadt is the old town of Vienna
. Until the city boundaries were expanded in 1850, the Innere Stadt was congruent with the city of Vienna. Traditionally it was divided into four quarters, which were designated after important town gates:
circles the Innere Stadt along the route of the former city walls
The first district is, with a workforce of 100,745, the largest employment locale in Vienna. This is partially due to tourism, as well as the presence of many corporate headquarters due to the district's central location.
Innere Stadt is the central district of Vienna. It borders on Leopoldstadt
in the northeast, on Landstraße
in the east, on Wieden
in the south, on Neubau
in the west, and on Alsergrund
in the north. The district border, starting at Urania, follows Wienfluss, Lothringerstraße, Karlsplatz, Gedreidemarkt, Museumsplatz, Museumstraße, Auerspergstraße, Landesgerichtsstraße, Universitätsstraße, Maria-Theresien-Straße and the Donaukanal.
Before 1850, Innere Stadt was physically equivalent with the city of Vienna. See History of Vienna
for details about the history of Vindobona and Vienna, as well as historical significance... Read More