was a county constituency
of the House of Commons
of the Parliament of Great Britain
from 1708 to 1801 and of the Parliament of the United Kingdom
from 1801 until 1918.
There was also a burgh constituency
called Inverness Burghs
, 1708 to 1918, and a county constituency called Inverness
, 1918 to 1983.
The Inverness-shire Member of Parliament
represented, nominally, the county of Inverness
minus the Inverness parliamentary burgh
, which was represented as a component of Inverness District of Burghs
. However, by 1892 the boundaries of the county had been redefined for all purposes except parliamentary representation, and it had become a local government area
, under the Local Government Act 1889
. 26 years were to elapse before a review of constituency boundaries took account of new local government boundaries. Results of the review were implemented under the Representation of the People Act 1918
In 1918, the constituency was largely replaced by two new county constituencies. The Western Isles
constituency was created to cover Outer Hebridean
areas of the county of Inverness, as well as part of the county of Ross and Cromarty
. The Inverness
constituency was created to cover the rest of the county of Inverness, including the parliamentary burgh.
Members of Parliament
The original electorate for this constituency was limited to substantial landowners.... Read More