: Ириг, ) is a town and municipality in the Srem District
. The town has a population of 4,854, while Irig municipality has 12,294 inhabitants.
, the town is known as Irig
or Ириг, in Croatian
, in Hungarian
, in German
, in Slovak
, and in Rusyn
Irig was first mentioned in the historical documents in 1225. In the 15th century, the masters of the town were Serbian despots Vuk Grgurević
, Đorđe Branković
, and Jovan Branković
. During the 15th and 16th century, ten Orthodox monasteries were built in the surrounding of Irig (Two of those were located just near the town).
Between 1526 and 1699, the town was under Ottoman
administration. During this time, it belonged to the Sanjak of Syrmia
, and was the administrative seat of one of the seven nahijas in that sanjak. In 1665, the town had 2,000 houses, one mosque and two monasteries. In this time, Irig was mostly inhabited by Muslim population.
Since 1699, Irig was part of the Habsburg Monarchy
. In the 18th century, Irig was one of the most important market centers in Srem and most of its inhabitants were ethnic Serbs. In 1795-1796, the population of the town was decimated by plague. From the total population of 4,813 who lived in the town, 2,548 died of this disease. According to the 1900 census, the population of the Irig municipality numbered 22,313 inhabitants, of whom 16,893 were Orthodox Serbs, while the... Read More