The original Irish State Coach was built in 1851 by the Lord Mayor of Dublin. It was extensively damaged by fire in 1911, and completely restored in 1989 by the Royal Mews carriage restorers. The exterior is blue and black with gilt decoration and the interior is covered in blue damask. It is normally driven from the box seat using four horses. Along with several other Royal state coaches, it is stored in the Royal Mews, where it can be seen by the public.