Iron Cove Bridge
is a heritage listed bridge
linking the suburbs of Drummoyne
in New South Wales
The original bridge was constructed of wrought iron
lattice girders and opened in 1882 after four years of construction. The area was sparsely populated in the 1880s and the opening of the new bridge not only helped accessibility but also provided a new western route to Sydney via Balmain
. All that remains of the original bridge are the sandstone abutments
situated on both sides of the cove about 20 metres (65 ft) south of the current bridge. The abutment on the Drummoyne side is listed on the NSW Heritage Register.
A decision to replace the original bridge was made in 1939 just prior to the outbreak of World War II
. Design work began in 1942 and construction by Hornibrook McKenzie Clarke Pty Ltd commenced in 1947. The bridge was officially opened by Hon. J.J. Cahill
, MLA, Premier and Colonial Treasurer of NSW on the 30 July 1955.
The bridge was built to carry four lanes of traffic, but a fifth lane was later added to the southwest side of the bridge. This extra lane runs outside of the main bridge supports, forcing traffic to remain in the lane for the length of the bridge. The default configuration is three westbound and two eastbound lanes, switching to two westbound and three eastbound lanes during the morning peak
The bridge has aesthetically distinctive... Read More