The Irrawaddy Flotilla Company
(IFC) was a passenger and cargo ferry
company, which operated services on the Irrawaddy River
, now Myanmar. The IFC was British
-owned, and was managed by P Henderson & Company
. The IFC operated from 1865 until the late 1940s. At its peak in the late 1920s, the IFC fleet was the largest fleet of river boats in the world, consisting of over 600 vessels carrying some 9 million passengers a year.
The IFC was formed in 1865, primarily to ferry troops up and down the Irrawaddy River and delta. Soon, the company was carrying passengers, rice, government stores, and mail from Rangoon
and, in 1868, to Bhamo
. Click to see a photograph of Beeloo
, a mail steamer of the IFC.
The ferry became indispensable to the oil fields up river at Yenangyaung
for carrying supplies and heavy equipment. Partly because the railway to Mandalay followed the path of the Sittaung River
rather than the Irrawaddy River, the company stayed relevant and useful well into the twentieth century, even after independence from Britain.
The ships, which were paddle steamers
, were built in Scotland, before being dismantled and transported to Burma for reassembly. When the Japanese invaded Burma in World War II
, Manager of the IFC's Burma fleet, John Morton, ordered the scuttling of all 600 ships in his fleet. This... Read More