The airfield was opened in 1949 as Lathrop Wells Airport with an unpaved runway. In 1957 the runway was and by 1959 the airport was closed. It reopened in 1964 as Jackass Aeropark with an unpaved runway built to the west of the former airstrip. The airport was owned by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. It was deactivated by the Federal Aviation Administration on May 18, 2004.