() is a district of Maharashtra
. It was formerly known as East Khandesh district
. It has an area of 11,765 km², and a population of 3,682,690 (2001 census) of which 71.4% were rural.
It is bounded by Madhya Pradesh
state to the north, and by the districts of Buldhana
to the east, Jalna
to the southeast, Aurangabad
to the south, Nashik
to the southwest, and Dhule
to the west.
The present territory of the district was part of the independent Khandesh Sulatanate ruled by the Faruqi dynasty
from 1382-1601. After, annexation by Akbar
in 1601, it became a part of Khandesh Subah
of the Mughal empire
. Subsequently, the region was ruled by the Nizam
and the Marathas
. In the early 18th century, Khandesh
was captured by British troops from the Holkar
ruler and a new district, Khandesh District
was formed with its headquarters at Dhulia
. Robert Gill was the first administrator of the British East India Company
in Khandesh District. In 1906, when Khandesh district was bifurcated into two district, the present territory of Jalgaon district became East Khandesh district with its headquarters at Jalgaon. In 1956, after the reorganisation of the states, East Khandesh district was included in Bombay state
and with the formation of Maharashtra state on May 1, 1960, East Khandesh district became a part of the state. It was renamed as Jalgaon district on October 21, 1960.
Major crops... Read More