John Raphael Rodrigues Brandon (5 April 1817, London – 8 October 1877 at his chambers at 17 Clement's Inn, Strand, London) was a British architect and architectural writer.
He was the second child of the six children of Joshua de Isaac Moses Rodrigues Brandon and his wife, Sarah. He learned architecture under J. Dédeau in Alençon, France and then under Joseph T. Parkinson (to whom he was apprenticed in 1836).
Both he and his brother Joshua Arthur Rodrigues Brandon were keen adherents of the Neo Gothic style and, as well as going into private practice together between 1841 and 1847 at Beaufort Buildings, Strand, they jointly produced a series of three works on Early English ecclesiastical architecture that became and remained architectural pattern books for the whole 19th century -
Analysis of Gothic Architecture (1847) - more than 700 examples of windows, doors, windows, and other architectural details, with measurements observed at first hand, collected from parish churches
Parish Churches (1848) - 63 churches from across England, each with perspective views, a short description in text and a plan (to the same scale for all the churches)
Open Timber Roofs of the Middle Ages (1849) - perspective, geometric and detail drawings of 35 timber roofs from parish churches in 11 different English counties, showing their form and principle of each example, with an introduction on the topic in general. The Builder commented that the......