(died 1835) was an army officer and settler in the colony of New South Wales
. He entered the 18th Regiment in 1779 and was part of the Gibraltar
garrison. He transferred to the New South Wales Corps
in October 1789, and arrived in Sydney on the Second Fleet
ship Scarborough in June 1790.
Townson spent most of his military service in the colony at Norfolk Island
where he was stationed for six years and received a twenty acre (81,000 m²) lease. In 1794 he was a member of the court of inquiry investigating Lieutenant Governor King
's actions during the 1793 mutiny on the island. He was promoted and captain, and from September 1796 to November 1799 acted as lieutenant-governor of Norfolk Island while King was absent in England.
His administration was generally efficient and he seems to have had a steadying influence on the population of convicts and settlers. During his regime the only ship built on the island, the sloop Norfolk
, used by Matthew Flinders
to circumnavigate Van Diemen's Land
, was constructed in 1798. He lacked confidence in Governor Hunter
and his complaints to England played a part in Hunter's recall.
Townson left Norfolk Island in 1800 and returned to England, where through illness he retired and sold his commission in July 1803.
He returned to Sydney in 1806, and after come controversy was granted 2000 acres (8 km²) in the Bexley
districts. He sold these in 1812 and developed further grants on the Tamar River
in Van... Read More