<!-- Unsourced image removed: -->The Johor Bahru Prison
(Penjara Johor Bahru
), in the state capital of Johore
, was opened in 1883 to incarcerate criminals
in the State, as well as those who revolted against the British colonial
government. The prison, located on 4.5 acres
(18,000 m²) of prime land in the city area, was served by three roads, namely, Jalan Ayer Molek, Jalan Gertak Merah, and Jalan Khalid Abdullah. On August 30, 2005, the prison was shifted to Kluang
in Central Johore, due to the very acute space shortage.
The prison complex
The Johor Bahru Prison was designed by the then sultan
, Sultan Ibrahim ibni Almarhum Sultan Abu Bakar ibni Almarhum Daeng Ibrahim
, who visited the prisons in Shanghai
to study the physical condition and design of their prisons. The building contract was awarded to a prominent Chinese
, Wong Ah Fook, on April 16, 1882.
The original built-in area was square (15,000 m²), with a capacity of 200 inmates. There were then only two accommodation blocks for inmates, two training workshops, a kitchen, a toilet block, a clinic and an administrative office.
With the pressing need to increase its capacity over the years, buildings were added, and existing ones, renovated. The number of accommodation blocks for inmates gradually increased to ten, with a capacity of 1,500 inmates. The number of training workshops had also increased to five. Added too, were additional facilities and amenities, which... Read More