Joshua Fry Speed
(November 14, 1814–May 29, 1882) was a close friend of Abraham Lincoln
from his days in Springfield, Illinois
, where Speed was a partner in a general store
. Later, Speed was a farmer
and a real estate investor
in Kentucky, and also served one term in the Kentucky House of Representatives
Joshua Fry Speed was born at Farmington
, the estate of the Speed family in Louisville, Kentucky
. He was the fifth son of Judge John Speed and Lucy Gilmer Fry Speed, both of prominent slave-holding
Joshua Speed's father, Judge John Speed (May 17, 1772 - March 30, 1840) was born in Charlotte County
. John was first married to Abby Lemaster (d. July, 1807). They had four children, two of whom died in infancy.
- Thomas Speed
- Mary Speed (born 1800)
- Eliza Speed (born 1805)
- James Speed
John was then married to Lucy Gilmer Fry (March 23, 1788 - January 27, 1874). Lucy was born in Albemarle County
, Virginia. They had eleven children.
- Thomas Speed (September 15, 1809–1812)
- Lucy Fry Speed (born February 26, 1811–1893). Later married to James D. Breckinridge.
- James Speed (March 11, 1812 - June 12, 1887)
- Peachy Walker Speed (May 4, 1813 - January 18, 1881)
- Joshua Fry Speed (1814–1882)
- William Pope Speed (April 26, 1816 - June 28, 1863)
- Susan Fry Speed (born September 30, 1817–1888)
- Major Philip Speed (April 12, 1819] - November 1,......