and TA 32
) was a destroyer
built for the Yugoslav Royal Navy
in the 1930s. The ship was named after the city of Dubrovnik
She was captured by the Italian Navy
in April 1941 following the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia
. The ship was in turn captured by the Germans in September 1943 after the Italian armistice
and scuttled in April 1945.
The ship was built by Yarrow Shipbuilders
and was the largest destroyer yet built. The Yugoslavs demanded a destroyer that was faster and better armed than any likely Italian opponent. The guns were supplied by the Czech company Skoda
and the ship had a heavy anti-aircraft armament for the time.
The ship was laid down on 10 June 1930, launched 12 October 1931 and commissioned in May 1932.
Yugoslav Navy service
The ship took King Alexander of Yugoslavia
on a state visit to France in 1934. She then had the task of returning his body home after he was assassinated. The ship was captured at Kotor
on 17 April 1941.
Italian Navy service
The ship was renamed Premuda
by the Regia Marina and re-fitted. The 84 mm guns were removed and replaced by 37 mm guns and a new director/rangefinder was fitted. She served on convoys to North Africa and was involved in opposing Operation Harpoon
. The Premuda was under refit in Genoa
at the time of the Italian Armistice and was captured by the Germans on 8 September 1943.
The Germans re-armed the ship with three 105 mm guns and converted her into... Read More