was the name of an entity that owned and operated broadcast television
stations in the United States
from 1958 to 1977.
Kaiser's involvement in broadcasting began when the Henry J. Kaiser Company Ltd.
, a multi-industrial conglomerate, purchased KULA-TV (later KHVH and now KITV
) in Honolulu, Hawaii
. Later in the 1960s, Kaiser explored new opportunities to expand its broadcast holdings on the U.S. mainland
. Kaiser secured licenses to construct new UHF
stations, all of which were in large markets. The first two of these new stations signed-on during 1965: WKBD-TV
went on the air in January, followed nine months later by WKBS-TV
in Burlington, New Jersey
, a suburb of Philadelphia
. Also that year Kaiser sold KHVH, partially to help fund its mainland expansion.
In December 1966 Kaiser teamed up with the Boston Globe
to re-launch channel 56 in Cambridge, Massachusetts
as WKBG-TV. The station had been dark (television terminology for being off-the-air) for much of the previous thirteen years. Kaiser started up its final two stations, KBHK-TV
in San Francisco
, within three weeks of each other in January 1968.
The new Kaiser Broadcasting group of stations consisted of independent
outlets broadcasting on the UHF band. In Detroit, Boston, and Cleveland, Kaiser-owned stations were the first independents in their respective markets. At a time when viewer interest in watching UHF television was still at its infancy,... Read More