(; ; ; ) is a seaport and the administrative center
of Kaliningrad Oblast
, the Russian exclave
on the Baltic Sea
. The territory, the northern part of the former East Prussia
, borders on NATO
, and is geographically separated from the rest of Russia.
Originally named Königsberg
, the town was founded in 1255 and was part of Prussia and then of Germany until 1945, but was largely destroyed during World War II
. Its ruins were occupied by the Soviet Army
in 1945 and its German population forced out. It was renamed Kaliningrad in 1946 in honor of Mikhail Kalinin
According to the preliminary results of the 2010 Census
, its population was 431,500—an increase from 430,003 recorded in the 2002 Census
. Its ethnic composition is 77.9% Russians
, 8.0% Belarusians
, 7.3% Ukrainians
, 1.9% Lithuanians
The site now occupied by Kaliningrad was previously the site of the German city of Königsberg, founded in 1255. During World War II the city was largely destroyed.
At the end of World War II in 1945, the city became part of the Soviet Union
pending the final determination of territorial questions at the peace settlement (as part of the Russian SFSR
) as agreed upon by the Allies at the Potsdam...