The original Kanagawa Station was a station on Japan’s first railway, connecting Shinagawa with Yokohama in 1872. This station was closed in 1928, when Yokohama Station was relocated to its present location.
The station now called Kanagawa Station was opened on December 24, 1905 as a station on the Keihin Electric Railway. It was also closed on June 22, 1929, but reopened as on March 29, 1930. It was renamed six days later to . The station was renamed to its present name on April 20, 1956. The platforms were lengthened in 1971, and a new station building was completed in February 1992.