is a monumental socialist boulevard
built by the GDR
between 1952 and 1960 in Berlin Friedrichshain
. Today the boulevard is named after Karl Marx
The boulevard was named Stalinallee
between 1949 and 1961 (previously Große Frankfurter Straße
), and was a flagship building project of East Germany's reconstruction programme after World War II
. It was designed by the architects Hermann Henselmann
, Hartmann, Hopp, Leucht, Paulick and Souradny to contain spacious and luxurious apartments for plain workers, as well as shops, restaurants, cafés, a tourist hotel and an enormous cinema (the International).
The avenue, which is 89m wide and nearly 2 km long, is lined with monumental eight-storey buildings designed in the so-called wedding-cake style
, the socialist classicism of the Soviet Union
. At each end are dual towers at Frankfurter Tor
and Strausberger Platz
designed by Hermann Henselmann
. The buildings differ in the revetments of the facades which contain often equally, traditional Berlin motifs by Karl Friedrich Schinkel
. Most of the buildings are covered by architectural ceramics.
On June 17, 1953 the Stalinallee became the focus of a worker uprising
which endangered the young state's existence. Builders and construction workers demonstrated against the communist government, leading to a national uprising. The rebellion was quashed with Soviet tanks and troops, resulting in the loss of at least 125 lives.
Later the street was used for East... Read More