is a large square in central Munich
, southern Germany
. The square has been named officially Karlsplatz
in 1797 after the unpopular Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria
. Munich natives seldom use that name, calling the square instead Stachus, after the pub
Beim Stachus, once owned by Eustachius Föderl
, that was located there until construction work for Karlsplatz began.
Most important buildings dominating the square are on the east side the Karlstor
, a gothic gate of the demolished medieval fortification and the rondell buildings
on both sides next to the gate (constructed by Gabriel von Seidl 1899-1902). In front of the Karlstor, which was first documented in 1301 and called Neuhauser Tor until 1791, is during the summer period a big fountain. In winter an open-air ice rink is installed there. The most significant buildings on the opposite west side are the neo-baroque Justizpalast
(Palace of Justice) and the Kaufhof
, the first postwar department store of Munich (by Theo Pabst, 1950/1951).
The underground contains a large shopping center. Also between Stachus square and Marienplatz
the main pedestrian area of the city (Neuhauser Strasse / Kaufinger Strasse) houses numerous shops and restaurants.
The Karlsplatz U-Bahn
station is located below the square. The Stachus also serves as a hub for the city's tramway system
, with a four track tram station located on Altstadtring
, the Old Town's orbital road system.