Karunya University (formerly Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences) is a fully residential Christian private university located in Coimbatore, India. It is known for its strict and mostly orthodox rules, which it implanted on the students. It was founded as a Christian minority institution by the late Dr. D. G. S. Dhinakaran, his son Dr. Paul Dhinakaran, Christian evangelists and founders of Jesus Calls Ministries, India.
In 1981, Dr. D. G. S. Dhinakaran embarked on the path to start a technical university. The institute was inaugurated on 4 October 1986 as Karunya Institute of Technology by Arjun Singh, the Human Resources and Development (HRD) minister in the Indian government. The institute was affiliated to Bharathiar University in Coimbatore and functioned as a private self-financing engineering college. It was promoted by the Karunya Educational Trust. In 2004, the institute was awarded university status in recognition of its academic excellence by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, government of India and subsequently renamed as Karunya University under sec. 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 vide Notification No. 9-3-2000-U3 dt. 23.6.2004 of the government of India..