, located in Copenhagen
is one of the best preserved fortifications
in Northern Europe. It is constructed in the form of a pentagram
at its corners. Kastellet was continuous with the ring of bastioned ramparts
which used to encircle Copenhagen but of which only the ramparts themselves Christianshavn
A number of buildings are located within the grounds of Kastellet, including a church, as well as a windmill. The area houses various military activities but its mainly serves as a public park and a historic site.
Kastellet’s construction was started by King Christian IV of Denmark
as far back as 1626 with the building of an entrenchment in the northern part of the defence wall of Copenhagen. The King had grand construction plans and originally a castle would have been situated on the site so that the king himself could seek haven there, but the plan was dropped on account of economic constraints. Construction continued with his successor King Frederick III of Denmark
. After the Swedish
siege on Copenhagen (1658–1660) the Dutch
engineer Henrik Rüse
was called in to help rebuild and extend the construction. The fortification was named Citadellet Frederikshavn
("The Frederikshavn Citadel"), but it is better known as Kastellet ("the citadel").
Kastellet was part of the defense of Copenhagen against England in the Battle of Copenhagen
(1810–1848), Danish painter... Read More