Khalsa Diwan Sikh Temple
is a gurdwara
in the Wan Chai District
of Hong Kong
, on the junction of Queen's Road East
and Stubbs Road
, Hong Kong Island
This Gurdwara functions as its role of providing religious, social, practical and cohesive support to generations of Sikhs in Hong Kong and continue to do so. It is also the center of Sikh community activities. The need for a proper Gurdwara was evident in the early days of Hong Kong and the government allocated land at Happy Valley
for building the Gurdwara. Sikh Soldiers of the British Army helped build the Gurdwara in 1901.
In the 1930s the number of Sikhs kept on increasing the Gurudwara was required to be rebuilt. In the early 1940s during the World War II
, the Gurudwara was bombed twice, sustaining extensive damage. The then Gurudwara Granthi
(priest), Bhai Nand Singh, was sitting in the main hall reading the Sri Guru Granth Sahib
(the Sikh holy scripture) when he was fatally injured In one of the attacks. However, the Guru Granth Sahib was not damaged. Many Sikhs and Non-Sikhs had sought refuge in the Gurudwara and some of them sustained injuries. After the war, the damaged areas of the Gurudwara were rebuilt by the Sikhs and Sindhi
Again in 1980’s the Gurudwara’s main hall was extended and linked with Queens’ Road East by a covered bridge, which provides easy access for the devotees.
Role of the Temple in Hong Kong
Since 1841, Sikhs from Punjab have grown with Hong Kong from its infancy as a... Read More