The name of the district originates from the founding legend of its main settlement. A hunter named Khong was the pioneer of the town. He invited people to settle the new town in this fertile land. The people named the town name him Mueang Khong. Later the government cut Mueang off from the district name to prevent confusion with the Amphoe Mueang.
The area became a sub-district (King Amphoe) of Bua Yai district in 1938. It was officially upgraded to a full district in 1947. The center of the city is in Ban Kut Rang.