The Kiev funicular
: Kyivs’kyi funikuler
; , translit.
: Kievskiy funikulyor
) serves the city of Kiev
, connecting the historic Uppertown
, and the lower commercial neighborhood of Podil
through the steep hill overseeing the Dnieper River
The funicular was constructed during 1902-1905, and was first opened to the public on 7 May 1905. The construction cost, about 230,000 Russian rubles
, was covered by a Belgian
owner of the Kiev trams. The funicular was the project of Arthur Abrahamson, who received professional training on railroad engineering in Zürich
and Saint Petersburg
. The station vestibules were designed by N. Piatnitskiy, and the railway structure was designed N. Barishnikov.
Due to its nearness to the St. Michael's Cathedral
, it was once named the Mikhailivs’kyi Mechanichnyi Pidyom
(, literally St. Michael's Mechanical Lift
). After the cathedral was destroyed by the Soviet
authorities in 1935-1936, the name of the funicular was changed.
The funicular uses the two rail and passing-loop system. The two cars are designated with the Cyrillic
which stand for left
. The funicular was renovated three times: in 1928, 1958, and 1984.
Wheel width: 100 cm. Total track length: 238 meters. The total gradient of the slope on which the funicular runs on is 36 %. The cable cars are powered by an electric motor
which is located inside the upper station.
The travel time between the stations... Read More