is a comprehensive school
, one of several in Kilmarnock
, a town in western Scotland
. It can trace its history back to the local burgh school founded in the 1630s and the first school to bear the name was established in 1807. In 1898 the school was moved to its current location and in the early 1900s the school acquired the Kilmarnock Technical School for its use.
The current headteacher is Mrs Carole Ford, she is assisted by her Depute Headteachers Mr Kerr & Mrs Hollywood.
Mrs Ford will step down in August 2011 as Head Teacher.
The school consists of 4 parts. The 'old building', a listed building in use since 1898 and part of the initial Kilmarnock Academy; the 'new building,' a larger building opened in 1967 and connected to the old building by a link corridor; the Technical Extension which opened in 1997 and is now where the schools computing and music departments are situated, and the P.E building, where the Physical Education department is situated. This is also rented out to groups such as a Tae Kwon Do club and local football teams.
Old Technical Building
Next to the school is the "Old Tech," formerly Kilmarnock Technical School, which opened in 1910 as part of the Academy. It is also listed, but is no longer part of the school; it was closed in 1997 due to a reduction in student numbers, caused by a restructuring of educational resources in the area. The building remained... Read More