() is a village in East Ayrshire
. It lies on the Carmel, 21.1 miles south by west of Glasgow
. Population recorded in 2001 Census, 2601
Kilmaurs was known as the hamlet of Cunninghame until the 13th century.Groome, Francis H. (1903). Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland.
Pub. Caxton. London. P. 938.Tranter, Nigel (1965), The Fortified House in Scotland. V. 3. South-West Scotland.
Pub. Oliver & Boyd. P. 40.Douglas, William Scott (1874). In Ayrshire
. A Descriptive Picture of the County of Ayr
. Kilmarnock : McKie & Drennan. Reprint. ISBN 978-1-40971-645-7. p. 16
The modern view is that the name Kilmaurs is derived from the Gaelic Cil Mor Ais
, meaning Hill of the Great Cairn.
It was once noted for its cutlery, shoe and bonnet workshops, and there were iron and coal mines in the neighbourhood. A hanger is a type of hunting sword, the only remaining Scottish example of which was made in Kilmaurs; it is in the keeping of the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow. The hanger sword is marked 'Kilmares' and is marked 'DB' for the maker or cutler, David Biggart,... Read More