The King Edward Hotel
, also known as Edwards Hotel
, is an historic hotel in downtown Jackson, Mississippi
. The second of two buildings located on the site at the corner of Capitol and Mill Streets, it was closed and vacant for nearly 40 years before renovations began in 2006. The hotel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
in 1976 and declared a Mississippi Landmark
in 1990. The Hilton Garden Inn-Jackson Downtown opened to the public in the restored building on December 17, 2009. It features the King Edward Grill, Pavilion Lounge, Pavilion Pantry convenience mart, Seattle's Best Coffee
shop, a sushi bar, and a fitness center.
The original hotel on the site was known as the Confederate House, built by "Major" R.O. Edwards. After being destroyed in the Civil War
, the hotel was reopened in 1867 as the Edwards House. This structure was replaced in 1923 by the present building, a 12 story beige brick structure, designed in the Beaux-Arts architecture
style by New Orleans
architect William Nolan. The hotel was the center of Jackson society and politics for over forty years.
A room at the hotel was used by Okeh Records
to record a number of important blues
sessions in December 1930.
In 1955, the hotel was purchased by R.E. "Dumas" Milner, a wealthy automobile dealer and businessman. Milner renovated the hotel in the popular modernist style of the day. Many of... Read More