The village of Kingsbarns
lies on eastern coast of Fife
, in an area known as the East Neuk
, 6.5 miles southeast of St Andrews
and 3.6 miles north of Crail
.The name derives from the area being the location of the barns used to store grain before being transported to the Palace
at Falkland, Fife
.Folk musician James Yorkston
was brought up in Kingsbarns.
The coast around Kingsbarns is also known as a challenging surfing
, a former estate that was owned by the Moneypenny family for over seven centuries, is located about 1.5 miles from Kingsbarns on the road to St Andrews
. Ruins of two mills and the Bronze Age tumulus
, Pitmilly Law, are still evident. Little remains of Pitmilly House.
An inn has existed in Kingsbarns for centuries, previously offering a place of refuge for pilgrims to St Andrews Cathedral
on their journey from the north,, The Barns at Kingsbarns
, accessed July 12, 2011. today the same site is occupied by an 18th century coaching inn
serving a local and international clientele.
The village also has a shop, Post Office, church and primary school.
The forming of the Kingsbarns Golfing Society in 1793 began the village's long association with golf
, with the course, laid upon land leased from the Cambo Estate
, being in use until around 1850 when it was returned to farming. In 1922, Kingsbarns Golf Club was founded, and a nine hole course designed by Willie Auchterlonie
was laid out, but in 1939 the land... Read More